SexGeeks

Sunday, February 13, 2005

SexGeeks: Sex Drives, Pedophilia in the Catholic Church, and Polyamory

Here's the newest SexGeeks show (1h 5m, 31MB).

Last week we talked about Good Vibrations, a store in San Francisco, for a little while, but forgot to leave a pointer to their web site. You can find it at: http://www.goodvibes.com.

Amy Gahran gave us a nice entry in her "Women in Podcasting" list (in case you are wondering, Lindsay is female ;).

This week, we talked about how the stereotype of the horny male may not be valid for most men after their 20's.

We also touch again briefly on sexuality in different cultures. We'd love to hear more people's experience with sex and sexuality in different places in the world.

Lindsay wondered aloud why pedophilia appears to be so prominent in the Catholic church, so Rob takes a stab at a possible explanation.

At the suggestion of a listener, we take a first stab at talking about polyamory. We were referred to the LovingMore site as a resource. Rob points out that an interesting analogy for polyamory might be the Creative Commons licensing, and suggests we all get cards indicating what the rules of our committed relationships are. Don't know how feasible that is, but interesting to think about anyway.

Finally, we put a call out for reviews of any interesting sex gadgets you might have run across. If you've had any experience (positive or negative) with the gadget in question, all the better. Lindsay's especially interested in a gadget the simulates cunnilingus. In an upcoming show, we'll talk about different gadgets we've run across, and would love to hear about things we might have missed.

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions for things to talk about, please feel free to send us an email, or leave a comment here.

9 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've liked the show that I've been able to hear but so far it looks like all of the links point to the same mp3 file.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger The Rob said...

Ooops! Well, that probably explains some problems I've been having with FeedBurner.

I have updated the link in this article to point to the correct mp3 file. Thanks for speaking up!

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't listen to your show but I did see the comment about Pedophilia in the Catholic church and its prevelancy. I would respectfully ask that you read George Weigel's book found here at amazon. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465092608/qid=1108655419/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/002-1803317-7424834
As a Catholic, he pulls no punches and makes no excuses.

And while the acts of those accused, and found guilty, are beyond horrid, after reading this book you'll quickly see that the numbers tell a different story. The Catholic church by no means is leading the way pct wise. I agree that even one act is too much but then again, little reporting is taking place when accused priests are later found to be completely innocent due to false claims. Just in my area alone, MA, already three priests have been cleared after it was learned that the accusers never even met the priests prior to filing suit. Unfortunately this news never made it into the nightly news or the local papers.

Please consider reading the book.

Mark

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger The Rob said...

Hi Mark,

Our discussion was around the nature of what might cause pedophilia to be more prevalent in the Catholic church than in other organizations. Granted, we didn’t look up the statistics, but the fact that it shows up again and again leaves it as a valid target for speculation, and never being afraid to speculate, we jumped right in.

Instead of focusing on the symptoms, however, we took a shot a what kinds of conditions might foster inappropriate sexual behaviors in the Catholic church.

If you could do us a favor, Mark, and quote us some statistics on pedophilia in other organizations (and cite a source), I think that would be a valuable addition to the conversation.

Thanks!

Rob

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

I mentioned your show in my podcast (www.thisandthatpodcast.com) this week. And, hahaha, currently, I am zeroamorous, but I'm warming up to the idea of polyamory (a girl can dream). I'm not sure I "get" monogomany anymore - if you aren't going to have children - but I'm still mulling ideas around.

Pat

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger The Rob said...

Hey Pat,

Thanks for the mention, I took a listen and enjoyed the show, so I've added it to my regular podcatching.

I have a hard time believing that someone who's put a picture of her panties online is zero-amorous by choice ;)

If you're new to the concept of polyamory, I'd be interested in hearing your take on it so far.

Also, if you're going to complaing about the bangity-bangity, let's hear some suggestions for men who are willing but mis- (or under-) informed!

 
At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few comments here, I know this is late, I only recently got a link to your program.

First on the issue of Pedophila in the Catholic church. here is a aspect I think isn't discussed much. The church encoruages people to trust in the power of faith, and immersion in the church to overcome thier problems. It seems reasonable that some Catholic men, who realize they have these inaaprorite desiers at an early point in thier lives (late teens, 20's) might try to dedicate themselves to the priesthood, hopeing the power of the vows and the enviroment of the church might chase thier "evil desiers" away, rather than turning to therepy.

About Polyamory,
I am polyamourous myself, and would be more than willing to answer any questions you might have. My husband and I both have outside relationships. His Girlfriend would like to see us form a quad type living arangement, but my realtionship with my Boyfirend is one of ongoing stable dateing. One of our reasons for being open initally was that we had vast differances in our needs for social contact and sexual activity. (mine being much higher in both instances so add me to the list of women baffeled and annoyed by this "men have a higher sex drive" sterotype) I forgot many of the questions you brough up in the show but would be happy to discuss anything you like.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ballermann
site/blog. It pretty much covers ballermann
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog thanks for posting this information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home